Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Remembering the dead of war

I am Abbas Mehdi from Qana, Lebanon.

I died on July 30, 2006 at the age of seven.

I was killed with 53 others. 27 of us were children, in a bomb shelter. The building we were in was bombed by the Israeli defense force and collapsed.

I am the dead of war. Why did I have to die?

I am Brad Will from New York, New York. I died last Friday at the age of 36. I was killed by a bullet from government-supported paramilitaries in the Mexican state of Oaxaca. I was filming attacks on the barricades set up by the popular movement that is controlling the capitol.

I am the dead of war. Why did I have to die?

I am an unnamed child. I am from Ramadi, Iraq. I died with my family – my father, mother, aunt, grandmother, and my brother or sister on Saturday. I was killed by a US airstrike.

I am the dead of war. Why did I have to die?


I am Private Edwardo Lopez from Aurora, Illinois. I died on October 19th, 2006 at the age of 21. I was killed by enemy fire in Al-Anbar, Iraq. I died fighting for control of oil and wealth, in a war based on lies and greed.

I am the dead of war. Why did I have to die?

We are the dead of war. Why did we have to die?

No comments: